Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Register of the Beulah Heights Improvement Club Records, 1913-1923
Mss128  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (65.50 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Administrative Information
  • Biography
  • Scope and Content

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Beulah Heights Improvement Club Records,
    Date (inclusive): 1913-1923
    Collection number: Mss128
    Creator:
    Extent: 0.5 linear ft.
    Repository: University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
    Stockton, CA 95211
    Shelf location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
    Language: English.

    Administrative Information

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Beulah Heights Improvement Club Records, Mss128, Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library

    Biography

    The Beulah Heights Improvement Club was an Oakland, California property owners organization for the development of the Beulah Heights District. Civic organizations consisting of real estate dealers, businessmen, citizens, and community leaders played an important part in the growth and development of Oakland. The Beulah Heights District located near Mills College between the convergence of the current MacArthur Freeway (580) and Warren Freeway (13,) is now part of the Laurel, Leona Heights and Redwood Districts. The group met at the Beulah School. The main focus of the Beulah Heights Improvement Club was to obtain a water supply for the district by working with the Railroad Commission of the State of California and the Peoples Water Company. A Club subscription drive raised several thousand dollars toward this goal. Members were concerned with other utilities and services: gas, electricity, sanitation, street signs, telephone lines, and street lighting, and, they also contributed to the support of Mills College and Beulah School.

    Scope and Content

    The Beulah Heights Improvement Club records date primarily from 1914 and 1915 with scattered documents dating from 1913 through 1923. Many items were authored by the secretary-treasurer of the group, Christian T Gutleben, an Oakland contractor. Other recurrent names found in the papers are those of Ed P Myers, Frank E. Hewitt, C. Oatridge, Carrie Pratt Elwell and San Francisco attorney, A. Kazebeer. The records include bylaws, minutes, correspondence, petitions, printed pamphlets and flyers, and newspaper clippings. Most of the correspondence is with city and state officials.