The Dept. of Public Works, Division of Architecture was responsible for the design and construction of state buildings. Photograph
collection documents the planning, construction, use and maintenance of state-owned buildings.
The origins of the Dept. of Public Works, Division of Architecture can be traced to the creation of a Dept. of Engineering
on March 11, 1907 (chapter 183, Statutes of 1907). This new agency was headed by a State Engineer, a civil engineer appointed
by the Governor for a term of four years. The State Engineer was authorized to appoint various assistants including a State
Architect who was in charge of all the work of designing and constructing state buildings.
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives
Collection is open for research.