Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid to the Cow Hollow Improvement Club Records, 1939-1974 MS 3161
MS 3161  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (56.20 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Information for Researchers
  • Arrangement
  • Scope and Contents
  • History
  • Indexing Terms

  • Title: Cow Hollow Improvement Club records
    Date (inclusive): 1939-1974
    Collection Number: MS 3161
    Creator: Cow Hollow Improvement Club (San Francisco, Calif.)
    Extent: 4 boxes (2.0 Linear feet)
    Repository: California Historical Society
    678 Mission Street
    San Francisco, CA, 94105
    415-357-1848
    reference@calhist.org
    URL: http://www.californiahistoricalsociety.org/
    Physical Location: Collection is stored onsite.
    Language of Materials: Collection materials are in English.
    Abstract: Contains organizational papers, including constitution and bylaws, minutes, membership lists, correspondence, and reports, as well as cases before the Board of Appeals concerning new constructions and conversions, newspaper clippings, and several zoning reports and maps. Correspondence contains detailed accounts of block-by-block zoning procedures. Also includes materials pertaining to the establishment of the Delancey Street Foundation in 1968, which founded a drug rehabilitation center in Cow Hollow.

    Information for Researchers

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Cow Hollow Improvement Club Records, MS 3161, California Historical Society.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to the North Baker Research Library. All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Director of the Library and Archives, North Baker Research Library, California Historical Society, 678 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94105. Consent is given on behalf of the California Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner.
    Restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.
    National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections Number:
    NUCMC 82-359

    Separated Materials

    Photographs shelved as MSP 3161.

    Arrangement

    Arranged in four boxes, as follows: Box 1: Organizational and membership materials; Box 2: Correspondence, arranged alphabetically by street; Box 3: Reports and cases before the Board of Appeals; Box 4: Zoning and development materials, and miscellany.

    Scope and Contents

    Contains organizational papers, including constitution and bylaws, minutes, membership lists, correspondence, and reports, as well as cases before the Board of Appeals concerning new constructions and conversions, newspaper clippings, and several zoning reports and maps. Correspondence contains detailed accounts of block-by-block zoning procedures.
    Also includes materials pertaining to the establishment of the Delancey Street Foundation in 1968, which founded a drug rehabilitation center in Cow Hollow.

    History

    The Cow Hollow Improvement Club records document the activities of one of San Francisco's well known neighborhood associations. Residents of the area founded the organization in 1946 in order to advance and promote their neighborhood, as well as improve the welfare of the City of San Francisco. With both a sense of history and humor, the members choose the name Cow Hollow in honor of the farms which once overlooked the hillside. Within a short time, the Club boasted a membership of over thirty-two families within the district boarded by Lyon to the west; Pierce to the east; Filbert to the north; and, Pacific to the south.
    Among the early successful efforts of this permanent and vigorous neighborhood association, was the establishment of a playground in 1948; increased fire and police protection; improved transportation; development of underground facilities; and, improved zoning ordinances sensitive to resident needs.
    From its inception, the Club members were most active in determining zoning ordinances. Whenever an issue of construction arose, members were notified and a consensus was reached. Without hesitation, the Club went directly before the Board of Appeals over zoning conflicts if they believed that they would aversely affect the overall welfare of the Cow Hollow district. Often, they were successful in their efforts to curtail additional construction.

    Indexing Terms

    The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
    Delancey Street Foundation (San Francisco, Calif.).
    Citizens' associations--California--San Francisco.
    Cow Hollow (San Francisco, Calif.)
    San Francisco (Calif.)--Buildings, structures, etc.
    San Francisco (Calif.)--Social life and customs.