Title: Sigma Alpha Pi Fraternity Papers,
Date (inclusive): 1914-1985
Sigma Alpha Pi Fraternity
Extent: 1 linear ft.
California Institute of Technology. Archives.
Pasadena, California 91125
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the California Institute of Technology Archives. All
requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing
to the Head of the Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the
California Institute of Technology Archives as the owner of the physical items and is not
intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be
obtained by the reader.
[Identification of item, Box and file number], Sigma Alpha Pi Fraternity Papers,
Archives, California Institute of Technology.
In October, 1914, permission was obtained from President James A. B. Scherer to create a
new social fraternity. Ten members of Throop College of Technology were the original
organizers. It was incorporated in 1921, after Throop became the California Institute of
The fraternity house, purchased in 1920, was home to many members. In 1930, Caltech
decided to build on-campus housing and develop a non-fraternity residence system. The
five established social fraternities, each of which had a house outside of campus, were
asked to terminate their activities and encourage their members to move into the new
student houses. Members of Sigma Alpha Pi moved into Fleming House.
There had been 192 members of the fraternity plus 15 honorary members, starting with the
class of 1916 and ending with the class of 1933.