The records form one of the largest and most comprehensive collections of environmental records in the United States. The
Club designated The Bancroft Library as its official archives in 1958, and the organization began transferring records from
the San Francisco office to the Library on a regular basis in 1970. A very wide range of record types are included in the
collection, including correspondence, minutes, agendas, reports, by-laws, financial records, scrapbooks, sample ballots, notes,
rosters, action alerts, statements and testimony, press releases, clippings, and policy statements. Documentation for the
early years is scarce, since the Club's office in San Francisco was destroyed in the 1906 earthquake and fire. The largest
record series is that of the Conservation Department (Series 9), which includes documentation of the Club's promotion of the
creation of Kings Canyon National Park in 1940, its campaign to protect Dinosaur National Monument from a dam-building project,
and its unsuccessful opposition to the Hetch Hetchy Valley water project. Individual officers represented in the collection
include David Brower, William E. Colby, Robert Curry, Michael McCloskey, and John Muir.
The Sierra Club was founded on May 28, 1892, in the San Francisco office of attorney Warren Olney. In addition to naturalist
and author John Muir, the 182 charter members included artists, scientists, university professors, explorers, and cartographers.
Their intent, as expressed in the articles of incorporation, was three-fold: "to explore, enjoy, and render accessible the
mountain regions of the Pacific Coast; to publish authentic information concerning them. . .[and] to enlist the support and
cooperation of the people and government in preserving the forests and other natural features of the Sierra Nevada."
Number of containers: 316 cartons, 1 box, 22 volumes, 1 oversize folder
Linear feet: 400
Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft
Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which
must also be obtained by the reader.
Collection is open for research.