The collection consists of published scores, mostly
for piano, of music to accompany the showing of silent films. Includes some
manuscript parts of music arranged for chamber ensembles.
When the Capitol Theatre opened at Broadway and 51st Street in Manhattan, on
October 24, 1919, it was touted as the "World's Largest and Most Beautiful
Theatre," and with 5300 seats it maintained that claim for several years to
come. Managed by Major Edward Bowes, the Capitol was one of the premier "picture
palaces" of its era, and the luxurious theatre played host not just to movies,
but also to elaborate stage revues and musical performances which complemented
the films and ensured the Capitol's distinction among its rivals. In addition to
an Estey organ constructed for the theatre, an orchestra of 71 musicians – a
number that would rise over the years – was employed.
Property rights in the physical objects belong to the UCLA Performing Arts Special Collections.
Literary rights, including copyright, are retained by the creators and their
heirs. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the
copyright and pursue the copyright owner or his or her heir for permission to
publish if the Performing Arts Special Collectionsdoes not hold the copyright.
The collection is open for research.