Title: Dept. of Agriculture Records
Inventory: F3741; F3742; F3744
California. Dept. of Agriculture
California State Archives
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives
[Identification of item], Dept. of Agriculture Records, F3741; F3742; F3744, California State Archives.
The California Department of Agriculture was created in 1919 (
Stats. 1919, ch. 325) by the placing of the operation of a number of agriculturally oriented boards, bureaus, and commissions under
the jurisdiction of a Director of Agriculture.
The Director succeeded to the powers and duties of the State Commissioner of Horticulture, the State Board of Horticultural
Examiners, the State Dairy Bureau, the State Veterinarian, the Stallion Registration Board, the State Board of Viticultural
Commissioners, the Board of Citrus Fruit Shipments, and the Cattle Protection Board.
The duties of the Department were originally divided between two divisions: Plant Industry and Animal Industry. On July 1,
1920, the Division of Chemistry was organized. In 1921, the Legislature changed its name to the Division of Agricultural Chemistry
and created the Division of Markets and the Division of Weights and Measures (
Stats. 1921, ch. 606). The major reorganization of October 1, 1939, consolidated departmental activities into four divisions: Administration,
Animal Industry, Plant Industry, and Economics.
In 1969, the Department was placed within the Agriculture and Services Agency (
Stats. 1969, ch. 138), and in 1972 its name became the Department of Food and Agriculture (
Stats. 1972, ch. 225).
The majority of the surviving records of the Department date from the period after the 1939 reorganization.