The Records of the Office of the Chancellor, University of California, Berkeley, 1952-[ongoing], includes records for the
chancellorships of Clark Kerr, Glenn T. Seaborg, Edward W. Strong, Martin Meyerson, Roger Heyns, and Albert H. Bowker. The
collection includes the administrative records of the Office, including records generated by vice-chancellors and immediate
The Berkeley Chancellorship was established in 1952. The President of the University was the chief administrative officer
at Berkeley until July 1952. Between July 1945 and 1947 delegation of 'full authority, under the president, to administer
the [academic] departments on the campus' was granted to a provost-at that time Monroe E. Deutsch. Following the retirement
of Deutsch in 1947, the President again assumed direct administrative control of the campus until July 1952, when the first
chancellor was appointed and directed to assume operating jurisdiction over the colleges, schools and other organizational
units on the Berkeley campus in accordance with the policies of the Regents and of the President of the University.
Materials in this collection may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction
of some materials may be restricted by terms of University of California gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions,
privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be
commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Collection is open for research.