Records (1951-1964) concerning the expansion of the La Jolla campus of the University of California, consisting largely of
the correspondence of Roger Revelle, director of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, dean of the School of Science and
Engineering and first chief administrative officer of the University of California, San Diego. Materials include correspondence
with the San Diego aerospace firm General Dynamics; files on facilities planning and campus building programs; materials concerning
acquisition of property for campus expansion and negotiations with the City of San Diego; files on campus and system-wide
committees; and, correspondence concerning the naming of the campus.
The records are arranged in two series: 1) CORRESPONDENCE and 2) SUBJECT FILES.
The efforts to establish a branch of the University of California at San Diego progressed with the passage, on March 30, 1955,
of a state assembly measure requesting the Regents to conduct a feasibility study for expanding the Scripps Institution campus
or creating a new site. Support for the new campus came from influential local community and industrial interests, including
the San Diego Chamber of Commerce, General Dynamics, Ryan Aeronautical, and Solar Aircraft. General Dynamics donated $100,000
toward the venture and pledged another $1 million.
2.80 linear feet
(7 archives boxes)
Publication rights are held by the creator of the collection.