The materials consist of meeting minutes, reports, financial ledgers, photographs, ephemera, and newsletters documenting the
activities of the Stanford Eating Clubs.
The Stanford Eating Clubs, also known as the Toyon Eating Clubs, were founded in 1892, making them the oldest student managed
group on the Stanford University campus. They were originally formed by congenial bands of like-minded men who were unhappy
with the food and service offered by the University-sponsored Stanford Inn. Even before the first Club was formed, some students
were eating at the mess hall of "The Camp," a crude barrack community built on the site of the student union. It was here,
in 1894, that the first Club — Brookfarm Eating Club — was founded. Brookfarm lasted only one year, but it was a beginning,
and the "eating club" concept continued to grow. Other co-operative eating groups were formed at "The Camp" and in nearby
Palo Alto and Mayfield (now the California Avenue area of Palo Alto). "The Camp" was closed in 1902, but it didn't dampen
the Club spirit, and the leading students of those days continued to trek off campus three times a day for their meals. In
1907 several of the Clubs with houses in College Terrace — Snell, Welakahao, Marchmount, and Entre Nous — banded together
to form the Terrace Club. With one exception, these Clubs all subsequently disbanded. Entre Nous, however, founded in 1901,
became the first of the seven present Clubs. The name was changed to Los Arcos in 1922. In 1909, Breakers Club was organized
in a small cottage on Stanford Avenue near its intersection with Escondido Road. Breakers remained there for one year before
moving to the Frenchman's House, located on Escondido Road. El Campo and El Toro were also founded in these early years of
the century. In the fall of 1912, the "Little Quad" was completed and Breakers, El Campo, and El Toro moved into this small
U-shaped building next to Encina Hall near the present Club building.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the
Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission
from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.