Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the San Diego High School Collection
MS-0212  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (80.40 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Overview of the Collection
  • Historical Note:
  • Administrative Information
  • Scope and Contents

  • Overview of the Collection

    Collection Title: San Diego High School Collection
    Dates: 1901-1982
    Identification: MS-0212
    Creator: San Diego High School
    Physical Description: 2.50 linear ft
    Language of Materials: English
    Repository: Special Collections & University Archives
    5500 Campanile Dr. MC 8050
    San Diego, CA, 92182-8050
    URL: http://library.sdsu.edu/scua
    Email: scref@rohan.sdsu.edu
    Phone: 619-594-6791

    Historical Note:

    San Diego High School began as the Russ School in 1882. Named for the founder of a local lumber firm, Joseph Russ donated all of the initial lumber used to build the school. The original building, designed by the Stewart Brothers and built by Brown and Stevens, was two stories tall and had eight classrooms. The school opened on August 14, 1882 as a grammar school with an initial enrollment of 308 students—32 more than they had chairs for.
    In 1893, the school was given over completely to high school classes. As the city's population continued to grow and the school became over crowded, architect F.S. Allen was commissioned to design a new building. His design would come to be known as the "Castle" due to the gray stone used to complete the castle-like structure. The new school, now officially known as San Diego High School, was dedicated on April 13, 1907. The old Russ building was moved to the canyon behind the new school when, due to many years of neglect, it burned to the ground in 1911.
    The Castle would continue to expand over the years, adding a new addition in 1912, a stadium in 1915 and an auditorium in 1926. However, due to the passage of the Field Act in the 1960s, all school buildings constructed prior to 1933 had to be demolished. In 1970, the firm of George Wheeler and Associates was contracted to design the new San Diego High School. The new school was completed and occupied in September of 1977.

    Administrative Information

    Accruals:

    1989

    Conditions Governing Use:

    The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine.  Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.

    Conditions Governing Access:

    This collection is open for research.

    Preferred Citation:

    Identification of item, folder title, box number, San Diego High School Collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Library and Information Access, San Diego State University.

    Scope and Contents

    The San Diego High School Collection dates from 1901-1982.  It consists mostly of paper records.  Included in this collection are copies of the school's early yearbooks, The Russ Annual, and its successor, The Gray Castle as well as copies of the school's Homecoming programs from the 1920s to the early 1980s.  Also included are two pieces of rock from the Old Gray Castle building dated 1906-1976 mounted on wood pedestals to celebrate the school's 70th Anniversary.