The Parks' Division of Interpretation dates back to initial efforts in the early 1920s which were formalized by the founding
of the Education Division and the Ranger-Naturalist service in 1929. The Division grew steadily through the 20th century and
went through a gradual expansion of duties and responsibilities, remaining the primary point of contact between the Park and
the public. By the 1980s, the Division numbered nearly forty permanent and seasonal employees staffing four visitor centers
spread across the two parks: Foothills and Mineral King, Lodgepole, Grant Grove, and Cedar Grove. By the early 1990s, the
Division was responsible for issuing press releases through which the Parks documented and communicated all aspects of the
organizations history. The Division opened the Giant Forest Museum in the old market building in 2001.
Many collections are former federal government records and are in the public domain. Other collections are from private sources;
copyright has been transferred to the NPS on most. Some collections have publication restrictions. Researchers are required
to properly credit all materials used. The researcher assumes responsibility for acquiring copyright permissions when needed.