The collection chiefly consists of photographic negatives, photographs, and news clippings of San Diego news events taken
by staff photographers of San Diego Union-Tribune and its predecessors, San Diego Union, San Diego Sun, San Diego Evening
Tribune, and San Diego Tribune-Sun, which were daily newspapers of San Diego, California, 1910-1974.
The San Diego Union began publishing in 1868 when San Diego's population was barely over 2,000 citizens. Industrialist John
D. Spreckels purchased the newspaper in 1890. The San Diego Evening Tribune was founded in 1895. In 1901, Spreckels also purchased
the Evening Tribune. In 1928, Colonel Ira C. Copley of the Copley newspaper chain purchased both the Union and the Evening
Tribune. The two newspapers operated separately until 1992 when they merged to form the San Diego Union-Tribune. The San Diego
Sun was founded by editor Horace Stevens in 1881 and purchased by E.W. Scripps of the Scripps-Howard chain in 1892. The newspaper
published until 1939 when it was merged with the San Diego Evening Tribune. Between 1939 and 1950 the paper was entitled the
San Diego Tribune-Sun. The newspaper reverted back to the name San Diego Evening Tribune in 1950.
100 linear ft.
ca. 150,000 items (glass and film negatives and photographic prints): b&w and color; 5 x 7 in. or smaller.
Permission for publication is given by the San Diego Historical Society both for copyrighted materials and materials physically
owned by the Society but not copyrighted. All requests for publication must be submitted in writing. Permission for use is
not granted until all fees are paid.