The records of the Department of Corporations and its predecessor, the Department of Investment - Division of Corporations,
consist of 21 cubic feet of documents spanning the years 1966-1982 and are organized into six records series: Subject Files,
Commissioner Office Files, Lender-Fiduciary Files, Application Files, Bill Files, and Legislative Correspondence. The Department
of Investment - Division of Corporations was established by law (Statutes of 1929, Chapter 277) to bring the agencies regulating
the finance and banking industry under one jurisdiction. The Division of Corporations remained under the jurisdiction of
the Department of Investments until 1969. Assembly Bill 387 (Statutes of 1969, Chapter 138) amended various codes regarding
executive reorganization and authorized the creation of a stand-alone Department of Corporations. Its mission is to ensure
an efficient and accessible financial services marketplace in California, to educate the public about the risks and rewards
in investing and finances, and to enforce California's financial services laws to protect the public from fraud.
The Department of Corporations is responsible for regulating and licensing businesses including securities brokers and dealers,
investment advisers and financial planners, and certain fiduciaries and lenders in the state of California. The department
also regulates the offer and sale of securities, franchises, and off-exchange commodities.
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives
Collection is open for research.