Scope and Content of Collection
Call Number: SC0290
Stanford University. Memorial Church
Title: Stanford University, Memorial Church, records
17.5 Linear feet
Language(s): The materials are in English.
Department of Special Collections and University Archives
Stanford University Libraries
557 Escondido Mall
Stanford, CA 94305-6064
Phone: (650) 725-1022
The records were received by the Stanford University Archives via numerous administrative transfers from Memorial Church.
Information about Access
Collection is open for research; materials must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
Ownership & Copyright
Property rights reside with the repository. Literary rights reside with the creators of the documents or their heirs. To obtain
permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Public Services Librarian of the Dept. of Special Collections.
[Identification of item], Stanford University, Memorial Church, Records (SC0290). Department of Special Collections and Univeristy
Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, Calif.
Following the death of Leland Stanford in 1893, Jane Lathrop Stanford decided to build Stanford Memorial Church as a memorial
to her husband. Mrs. Stanford wanted the church to be nondenominational and a place of peace, meditation, and prayer amid
the turmoil and tasks of the university.
Construction of Stanford Memorial Church began in 1899. The church was dedicated January 25, 1903. It was partially destroyed
by the earthquake in 1906 and was rebuilt and opened again in 1913. The church was again damaged during the Loma Prieta earthquake
of 1989 and was closed for repairs until 1993. Stanford Memorial Church is known for its stained-glass windows of the J. &
R. Lamb Studios and the masterpieces of its art mosaics created by the Venetian studios of Salviati & Company.
The first pastor of the church was Heber Newton. He preached at Stanford for four months but reluctantly resigned because
he disagreed with Mrs. Stanford on some aspects of church management. After Newton's resignation, the trustees of the university
engaged the Rev. David Charles Gardner as chaplain of the church. He served thirty-four years, from 1902 to 1936. Gardner
was succeeded in 1936 by the Rev. D. Elton Trueblood who resigned in 1945. The Rev. George J. Hall was chaplain from 1946
to 1947 and he was succeeded by the Rev. Robert M. Minto who served from 1947 to 1948 and 1950 to 1973. The Rev. Paul C. Johnston
served as chaplain from 1949 to 1950. Robert McAfee Brown was acting Dean from 1972 to 1973. The Rev. R. G. Hammerton-Kelly
served from 1973 to 1986, when the Rev. Thomas Ambrogi was named Acting Dean. In 1987, the Rev. Dr. Robert C. Gregg became
Dean, serving until 1998. The Rev. Kelly Denton-Borhaug served as interim Dean until January 1, 2001, when the Rev. William
"Scotty" McLennan Jr. was appointed Dean of Religious Life.
Scope and Content of Collection
The records of Stanford Memorial Church include marriage and baptismal records, church service programs, sermons and lectures,
church newsletters and publications, and files from two chaplains.
The collection is organized into the following nine series: Series 1: Church Services (programs), 1903-1988; Series 2: Sermons
and Lectures, 1957-1978; Series 3: Organ Recitals, 1920-1985; Series 4: Chaplains' Records; Series 5: Baptismal and Marriage
Records, 1902-2009; Series 6 - Bibles, Hymnals, and Songbooks, 1883-1912; Series 7: Publications about the Church; Series
8: General Miscellany; and Series 9: Church Building. When paging materials from this collection, please be sure to include
the series number on the paging slip.
Minto, Robert M
Stanford, Jane Lathrop, 1828-1905.
Sterling, J. E. Wallace, (John Ewart Wallace), 1906-1985
Trueblood, Elton, 1900-
Wilbur, Ray L., (Ray Lyman), 1875-1949
Church records and registers.
Lectures and lecturing.