This collection includes ledgers, business and financial papers, correspondence,
photographs, maps, prints, newspaper clippings and other materials related to the incorporation, operations, and liquidation
of the Del Amo Estate Company. There are also some personal papers of the company’s founder, Gregorio del Amo.
The collection shows aspects of land use and development in Southern California, and is
particularly interesting in detailing the construction and development of the Del Amo Shopping Center,
at one time the largest shopping mall in the world.
The Del Amo Estate Company was established 1926 by Susana Delfina Dominguez and
her husband, Dr. Gregorio del Amo. As an heir of Manuel Dominguez, Susana inherited
property in the Rancho San Pedro, one of the original Spanish land grants, located
in the South Bay region of Los Angeles County. While Gregorio helped oversee the
property personally for some years, the Del Amo Estate Company was formed as a way to
provide management of the land while also giving Gregorio and Susana del Amo the
means and time to pursue their philanthropic interests.
[51 linear feet]
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Archives
and Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical
materials and not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.