Information for Researchers
Title: F. Barreda Sherman postcard collection,
Collection No: P05-019
Sherman, F. Barreda
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park (Calif.)
Historic Documents Department
Building E, Fort Mason
San Francisco, California 94123
Abstract: The collection consists of postcards primarily of the Great White Fleet.
Physical Location: Historic Documents Department
The following are indexing terms related to the description of this collection.
Pacific Mail Steamship Company
United States. Navy--Cruise, 1907-1909--Pictorial works
Information for Researchers
This collection is open for research.
There are no restrictions based on the condition of this material. However, you should be aware that access to collection
material is always at the discretion of NPS curatorial staff if the condition warrants restricting the access and handling
of the collection items at any time.
Conditions of Use
The San Francisco Maritime NHP possesses physical property rights through ownership of the materials. However, copyright may
reside with the individual or corporate body responsible for the creation of the materials, or with their heirs. It is the
user's responsibility to respect the provisions of the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Permission to reproduce or publish from this collection must be secured by the user from the copyright holders.
[Item title or description including date]. F. Barreda Sherman postcard collection, P05-019. [Location within collection organization
identified by container number, series number, file unit number, or item number]. Historic Documents Department, San Francisco
Maritime National Historical Park.
Processing and Cataloging
Processed by Charles Miller and completed 4/27/2005.
ANCS+ Catalog No. SAFR 20707.
The collection is cataloged in the National Park Service (NPS) Automated National Catalog System (ANCS+). A portion of the
ANCS+ catalog record can be viewed on the NPS
Museum Collections on the Web Catalog
by searching on the catalog number 20707 at
. Do not include the acronym "SAFR" in the search.
The Great White Fleet was a fleet of sixteen new battleships of the Atlantic Fleet, sent around the world by U.S. President
Theodore Roosevelt. The fourteen-month long voyage was a grand pageant of American sea power. The squadrons were manned
by 14,000 sailors, and covered 43,000 miles and made twenty port calls on six continents. The fleet departed Hampton Roads,
Virginia, on December 16, 1907. The fleet arrived at San Francisco on May 6, 1908, and departed San Francisco for Honolulu
on July 7, 1908. The fleet returned to Hampton Roads on February 22, 1909. Several of the ships in the fleet were built by
Union Iron Works in San Francisco. WISCONSIN (BB-9) was built in 1897, and OHIO (BB-12) was built in 1899.
The MONGOLIA (built 1904; passenger vessel) was a steamship owned by the Pacific Mail Steam Ship Company, and carried passengers
and freight across the Pacific between San Francisco, Honolulu and Hong Kong until 1915, when she was sold to the Atlantic
Transport Company and transferred to service out of New York. On its last Pacific voyage, in October 1915, it was discovered
that 86 illegal Chinese stowaways were being smuggled aboard her. In March 1917, she was outfitted with three six-inch guns,
and was the first ship to sail after the Kaiser's proclamation of a submarine blockade. On April 25, 1917, MONGOLIA sunk
or disabled a German U-boat off the coast of England, the first American shot fired on the high seas after the declaration
of war. Later in 1917 she was used as a troop ship by the U.S. Navy.
After the war, she was chartered to American Line for the New York to Hamburg route. In 1923, she was purchased by the Panama
Pacific Line, for the New York to San Francisco run. In 1923, she was sold to the Dollar Line of San Francisco and renamed
PRESIDENT FILLMORE. In 1940 she was sold to Cia Transatlantica Centroamericana, a Panamian company, and was renamed PANAMANIAN.
She was scrapped in Hong Kong in 1946.
The ST. PAUL (built 1895; passenger vessel) was a steamship owned by the American Steamship Company, traveling primarily between
New York and Liverpool during her career. She was sold for scrap and broken up in 1923.
The items were donated to the San Francisco Maritime Museum by F. Barreda Sherman prior to 1979. The materials were accessioned
into the National Park Service when the museum was made a unit of Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GOGA-735) and then
were transferred to San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park after the establishment of the new park in 1989 (SAFR-1).
Accession number SAFR-00001.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of postcards primarily of the Great White Fleet.
One of the postcards is a six-panel postcard panorama of the Great White Fleet at Hampton Roads, Virginia in 1907. The bulk
of the cards are color lithograph cards. Of the remaining, 5 depict U.S. steamships the American Line's ST. PAUL and the Pacific
Mail Co.'s MONGOLIA. The 2 remaining views are of electric railroad locomotives circa 1910.
Organized in three series: Great White Fleet, steamships, and electric railroad locomotives.