This collection includes legal documents, correspondence, monthly and yearly financial reports, receipts, photographs, and
an artifact. Subjects include payroll, budgets, construction, and residential and industrial water supply.
The Dominguez Water Company was founded in 1911 in an effort to provide a reliable source of water to the Rancho San Pedro
lands. The first board included Henry O’Melveny, Kaspare Cohn, and representatives from the Watson, Carson, and Del Amo families.
Even with a growing consumer base, the cost of maintenance and operations kept the company from earning a profit. In 1914,
the winter flooding damaged pipes, wells, and equipment. The earthquake of 1933 also damaged the pumping plant and equipment.
By 1936, the company was heavily in debt to the Dominguez Estate Company and the County Superior Court ordered the Water Company
to sell its assets to the Estate Company. The following year, it was incorporated as the Dominguez Water Corporation, a subsidiary
of the Dominguez Estate Company.
(4.5 linear feet)
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Archives
and Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical
materials and not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.