Scope and Content
Title: Dennis L. Brown Papers
Collection number: LP338:001-002
Dennis L. Brown, California Legislator
California State Archives
Abstract: Assemblyman Dennis L. Brown, a Republican, was elected to the Legislature in 1978 and served six terms representing the 58th
Assembly District. The Dennis L. Brown papers consist of two bill files, A.B. 90 (1981-1982) relating to imposing a tax exemption
on retirement pay of retired military personnel, and AB 292 of the (1983-1984) relating to changing public hearing dates for
county boards of education on schools service fund budgets and also permits school districts to place proceeds from the sale
or lease of property into the special reserve fund.
Physical location: California State Archives
Languages represented in the collection:
Collection is open for research.
For permission to reproduce or publish, please consult California State Archives staff for a copy of the State Archives' reproduction
and publication policy. Permission for reproduction or publication is given on behalf of the California State Archives, Office
of Secretary of State, Sacramento, as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility for possible
infringement that may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives' collections.
[Identification of item], Dennis L. Brown Papers, LP338:[folder number], California State Archives, (Sacramento, CA: Office
of the Secretary of State).
Acquisition and Custodial History
The California State Archives acquired the Dennis L. Brown Papers with a deed of gift.
Assemblyman Dennis L. Brown, a Republican, was elected to the Legislature in 1978 and served six terms. He represented the
58th Assembly District covering the eastern portion of Long Beach, all of Lakewood, Signal Hill and Hawaiian Gardens. After
the Supreme Court ordered reapportionment in 1984 the district still included the eastern part of Long Beach, part of Huntington
Beach, and all of Signal Hill, Seal Beach, Sunset Beach, Surfside, Rossmoor, and Catalina Island.
A native Californian Assemblyman Brown was born March 21, 1949. He attended Cerritos College receiving an A.A. Degree; University
of Southern California earning a B.S. Degree in finance and a Master's Degree in business administration.
When elected to the Assembly Brown served as the director of research for a brokerage firm and was an instructor at Pepperdine
University in Los Angeles.
He served as a member of the Republican County and State Central Committees from 1974 through 1986, and was selected as a
California delegate to the 1976 and 1980 Republican National Conventions, and was appointed a Reagan delegate-at-large at
the 1984 Republican National Convention.
California Legislature In Sacramento 1982, 1989;
Members of the California Legislature and other State Officials, by the California Teamsters Public Affairs Council, 1981-1982, 1985-1986;
Legislative Handbook, produced by the California Bear and Wine Wholesalers Association, 1987-1988.)
Assemblyman Brown served on the following committees. This information was obtained from the
Assembly Final Histories
- Constitutional Amendments, 1981-1982
- Elections and Reapportionment, 1981-1982
- Elections and Reapportionment and Constitutional Amendments, 1983-1984, 1987-1988
- Finance and Insurance, 1985-1988
- Governmental Organization, 1981-1982
- Health, 1983-1984
- Public Employees, Retirement and Social Security, 1989-1990
- Revenue and Taxation, 1981-1984
- *Vice Chairman, 1985-1988
- Rules, 1981-1982
- Ways and Means, 1985-1988
- Subcommittee No. 5 of the Ways and Means Committee on Public Employee Compensation, 1985-1986
- Subcommittee No. 5 of the Ways and Means Committee on Public Employees and Bonded Indebtedness, 1987-1988
- Subcommittee No. 6 of the Ways and Means Committee on Transportation, 1985-1986
- *Chairman, 1987-1988
- Subcommittee on Workers Compensation, 1987-1988
- Subcommittee on Savings and Long Law and Regulations, 1989-1990
- Select Committee on Job Development and Economic Productivity, 1985-1986
- Select Committee on Office of the State Treasurer, 1987-1990
- Select Committee on Workers Compensation, 1987-1988
Scope and Content
The Dennis L. Brown papers consist of two bill files, A.B. 90 (1981-1982) relating to imposing a tax exemption on retirement
pay of retired military personnel, and AB 292 of the (1983-1984) relating to changing public hearing dates for county boards
of education on schools service fund budgets and also permits school districts to place proceeds from the sale or lease of
property into the special reserve fund.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in
the library's online public access catalog.
Brown, Dennis L.