Scope and Content of Collection
Title: Virginia Satir Collection
Bulk Dates: 1970s-1980s
Collection Number: HPA Mss 45
ca. 100 linear feet
(142 document boxes, 1 carton, 1 oversize box, ca. 565 audiocassettes, ca. 249 open reel audiotapes, ca. 850 videotapes).
University of California, Santa Barbara. Library. Department of Special Collections
Santa Barbara, California 93106-9010
Physical Location: SRLF (Boxes 1-141); Annex 2 (Boxes 142-144 and Audiovisual).
Abstract: Extensive collection of personal and professional manuscript materials, organizational records, and audiovisual materials
from noted family therapist Virginia Satir.
English, German, Swedish, Spanish, French
Collection is stored off-site; advance notice required for retrieval.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Department of Special Collections, UCSB. All requests for permission to publish or
quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections. Permission for publication is given
on behalf of the Department of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply
permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained.
Virginia Satir Collection. HPA Mss 45. Department of Special Collections, Davidson Library, University of California, Santa
Donated by Virginia Satir, ca. 1987 and by the Avanta Network, 1991; additions 1994.
Virginia Satir (26 June 1916 - 10 Sept. 1988) was best known as an innovator in the field of family therapy, to which she
applied a humanistic approach. Satir began her career as a teacher, counselor, and principal in the Illinois public school
system, receiving her masters degree in social services administration in 1948. In 1959 she moved her private practice to
California and co-founded the Mental Research Institute. Her professional experience includes leading family therapy workshops,
seminars and workshops for institutions, and work with the Avanta Network, which she founded in 1977 as an outlet for the
training of other professionals.
The following websites have additional information about Virginia Satir:
Scope and Content of Collection
The Collection contains the following series:
Series 1: Works by Satir. Books, articles, contributions to books, forewords, interviews with Satir, reviews, scripts of workshops, speeches/papers,
television and radio appearances. Boxes 1-9.
Series 2: Works about Satir. Bibliography, articles, applications of Satir's work, tributes, and other. Boxes 9-14.
Series 3: Biographical/Personal. Boxes 14-20.
Series 4: Correspondence.
- Personal. Boxes 21-24.
- Professional. Boxes 25-29.
- Organizations - Primary. Boxes 30-35.
- Organizations - Secondary. Boxes 35-38.
- Subject. Boxes 39-40.
- Geographical. Boxes 41-47.
Series 5: Organization Files.
- Pre-Anterra. Boxes 48-49.
- Correspondence. Box 50.
- Geographical. Boxes 50-51.
- Organizations. Boxes 51-55.
- Administration. Boxes 55-56.
- Subjects. Boxes 56-58.
- Humana. Boxes 58-59.
- Correspondence. Boxes 59-63.
- Financial. Boxes 63-65.
- Invitations. Boxes 66-68.
- Meetings. Boxes 69-71.
- Requests. Box 71.
- Resources. Box 72.
- Workshops. Boxes 73-76.
- Writings. Boxes 77-80.
- Beautiful People
- Correspondence. Boxes 80-85.
- General. Boxes 86-87.
- IHLRN [International Human Learning Resources Network]. Box 87.
- Peoplemaking. Boxes 87-88.
Series 6: Programs.
- U.S. General. Boxes 88-101.
- International. Boxes 102-105.
- Self-Esteem. Boxes 105-110.
- Monthlong Workshops. Boxes 110-111.
- Manitou Programs, Inc. Boxes 111-112.
- Process Community [P.C] Workshops. Boxes 112-121.
- Publicity / Brochures. Box 122.
Series 7: Resources.
- General. Boxes 123-129.
- Correspondence. Boxes 129-132.
Series 8: Photographs.
- General. Mainly color snapshots, including workshops, conferences, and other gatherings, as well as holiday cards and other
photos sent by friends and associates. Few with names or places. Arranged chronologically. Boxes 133-139.
- Meetings and Workshops. Includes some Process Community [P.C.]. Boxes 140-141.
- Satir, Virginia. Includes portraits, individual and group shots. Mainly b/w; a few color prints and slides. Box 142.
- Miscellany. Box 142.
- Photograph Albums. Box 143.
- Oversize. Photos of Avanta members, ca. 1984 and 1986 Israel photograph album. Box 144.
Series 9: Audio and Visual Materials.
- Sound Recordings
- Audio cassettes
- Open Reel
- Video Recordings
- 16mm film
- 1/2" Open Reel
- Video 8
- 3/4" (U-Matic)
- 1" videotape - reels
See individual series for more detailed information on content, extent, and arrangement.
Commonly used acronyms in the guide:
- PC = Process Community
- POT = Thank you letters / letters of appreciation
- VS = Virginia Satir
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
Satir, Virginia -- Archives.