The collection consists of papers kept by Harry Dring, as Supervisor of Ships Restoration and Maintenance and later Conservator
of Ships for the National Park Service, from 1954 to his retirement in 1982. The papers consists of correspondence, contracts,
weekly work summaries, journals, articles, and logbooks. The bulk of the collection is from the period 1959-1977, during Dring's
employment as Restoration & Maintenance Manager with San Francisco Maritime State Historic Park. The subject of the materials
is primarily the maintenance and restoration of the historic ships.
Mr. Harry (Harrison) Joseph Dring was an important figure in maritime preservation, eventually becoming responsible for the
largest fleet of historic ships in the world at the National Maritime Museum in San Francisco.