Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Marine Biological Association of San Diego Records and Photographs
SAC 0037  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (119.72 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Scope and Contents of Collection
  • Digital Content
  • Publication Rights
  • Historical Background
  • OFF-SITE STORAGE
  • Preferred Citation
  • Restrictions
  • Related Materials

  • Descriptive Summary

    Languages: English
    Contributing Institution: Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego
    9500 Gilman Drive
    La Jolla 92093-0175
    Title: Marine Biological Association of San Diego Records and Photographs
    Identifier/Call Number: SAC 0037
    Physical Description: 3 Linear feet (3 and 1 half archives boxes, 1 flat box, and 1 map case folder)
    Date (inclusive): 1901-1923
    Abstract: The collection consists of early records, meeting minutes, and photographs documenting the formative years of the Marine Biological Association of San Diego, predecessor of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography.

    Scope and Contents of Collection

    The collection consists of early records, meeting minutes, and photographs documenting the formative years of the Marine Biological Association of San Diego, predecessor of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. The collection is arranged in two series: 1) RECORDS and 2) PHOTOGRAPHS.

    Digital Content

    Selected materials from this collection have been digitized and can be viewed through links in the container list.

    Publication Rights

    Publication rights are held by the Regents of the University of California.

    Historical Background

    In 1903, UC Berkeley biologist William E. Ritter and San Diego physician Fred Baker, with the financial support of philanthropists E.W. Scripps and Ellen Browning Scripps, founded the Marine Biological Association of San Diego. The purpose of the Association was to advance the study of marine sciences. Ritter was appointed as its first director and supervised the activities of temporary research stations in San Diego Bay. In 1905, the Association leased property above La Jolla Cove and established a marine laboratory. Ms. Scripps added a codicil to her will in 1909 bequeathing a gift to the Regents of the University of California for a permanent marine biological station, and construction on the first building on the current campus, the George H. Scripps Memorial Marine Biological Laboratory, was completed in 1910. In July of 1912, the Association deeded its property to the Regents and became the Scripps Institution for Biological Research, formally becoming part of the UC System. In 1925, it was renamed the Scripps Institution of Oceanography.

    OFF-SITE STORAGE

    COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. ALLOW ONE WEEK FOR RETRIEVAL OF MATERIALS.

    Preferred Citation

    Marine Biological Association of San Diego Records and Photographs, SAC 37. Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego.

    Restrictions

    Glass plate negatives are restricted; however, most have been digitized and are available for viewing through links in the container list.

    Related Materials

    William E. Ritter Papers. SMC 4. Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego.
    Winfred E. Allen Papers. SMC 23. Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    La Jolla (San Diego, Calif.) -- Photographs
    Fitch, Herbert R. (Herbert Richardson), 1868-1958 -- Photographs
    Marine Biological Association of San Diego (Calif.) -- Archives
    Marine Biological Association of San Diego (Calif.) -- Photographs
    Ritter, William Emerson, 1856-1944 -- Photographs