Alumnae Association collection of materials on the history of the College, dating from 1933-1992. Includes admissions requirements,
constitution and bylaws, yearbooks, correspondence, student papers and notes, memorabilia, and newsletters.
St. Joseph's Hospital was founded in San Francisco in 1889 by a group of five Sisters of the Order of Franciscan Sisters of
the Sacred Heart (originally a German group founded in 1866). Around 1916, the hospital established a training program for
the Sisters in order for them to obtain credentials as graduate nurses; this program was discontinued in 1918. In 1921 the
School of Nursing was organized and established; it offered an accredited twenty-eight month course.
The first Alumnae Association of St. Joseph's Hospital was organized in 1924 by thirteen members of the graduating class.
The association’s object, as stated in its constitution, is “educational and social; to encourage the adoption of a higher
educational standard in the profession of nursing; to cultivate closer professional relationships and fellowship among the
members.” By 1973 the association’s membership included over 600 alumnae. The Alumnae Association was active until 2015.
2 linear ft. (5 boxes).
Copyright has not been assigned to the Library & Center for Knowledge Management. All requests for permission to publish or
quote from material must be submitted in writing to the UCSF Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the
Library & Center for Knowledge Management as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission
of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Collections are open for research. Restrictions may apply to some materials due to student records. Please contact the UCSF
Archivist for access to those materials.