Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Temple of the People Collection
CFT00122  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (98.81 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Overview of the Collection
  • Administrative History:
  • Access Terms
  • Scope and Contents

  • Overview of the Collection

    Collection Title: Temple of the People Collection
    Dates: 1903-2011
    Identification: CFT00122
    Creator: Temple of the People Blavatsky, H. P., 1831-1891.
    Physical Description: 1.00
    Repository: David Allan Hubbard Library Archives
    135 N. Oakland Avenue
    Pasadena, CA, 91182-0002
    URL: http://library.fuller.edu/archives/
    Email: archives@fuller.edu
    Phone: (626) 584-5311
    Fax: (626) 584-5613

    Administrative History:

    The Temple of the People was founded in Syracuse, NY in 1898 by Francia A. La Due and William H. Dower. It is a continuation of the Theosophical teachings of Madame H.P. Blavatsky, a work carried on by William Quan Judge. In 1903 the Temple of the People moved to Halcyon, California. The Blue Star Memorial Temple was erected in 1923.
    The Temple aims to formulate spiritual truths as fundamental to human evolution in order to promote the idea that an explanation for the spiritual instinct inherent in all humans is the basis of every religion. The Temple aims to create a lifestyle that is in harmony with natural and Divine law and to promote the study of the sciences in order to better understand the super-physical aspects of human existence, as well as the study of art and social sciences for the welfare of all. The Temple holds that humanity will become a mighty power for good when it is universally attuned to the ideal of unselfish service by a daily application of the Golden Rule.
    The Temple in Halcyon offers services in the Blue Star Memorial Temple every Sunday and a short Meditation for World Healing every day. Study classes are offered two days a week in the University Center where the William Quan Judge Library provides study resources.
    The Temple of the People is the last remaining spiritualist community. In the earliest days of the 20th century, Pentecostal meetings and communities in the Arroyo Seco, near Los Angeles, California, were often confused with spiritualist communities in the same area by secular media, making these communities an important contextual reference for study of Pentecostalism.

    Access Terms

    This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

    Topical Term:

    spiritualism
    theosophy

    Scope and Contents

    The Temple of the People was founded in Syracuse, NY in 1898 by Francia A. La Due and William H. Dower. It is a continuation of the Theosophical teachings of Madame H.P. Blavatsky, a work carried on by William Quan Judge. In 1903 the Temple of the People moved to Halcyon, California. The Blue Star Memorial Temple was erected in 1923. It is the last remaining spiritualist community. In the earliest days of the 20th century, Pentecostal meetings and communities in the Arroyo Seco, near Los Angeles, California, were often confused with spiritualist communities in the same area by secular media, making these communities an important contextual reference for the study of Pentecostalism.
    The collection includes five bound volumes, Theogenesis, From the Mountaintop in three volumes,and Temple Messages, all published by The Temple of the People, Halcyon, California, as well as post cards, six pamphlets on spiritual themes and two brochures about the Temple of the People and the symbolism of the Blue Star Memorial Temple.