Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the Louis J. Gill papers, circa 1911-circa 1955 0000137
0000137  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (52.73 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Access
  • Custodial History note
  • Preferred Citation note
  • Biographical/Historical note
  • Scope and Content note
  • Related Archival Materials note

  • Title: Louis J. Gill papers
    Identifier/Call Number: 0000137
    Contributing Institution: Architecture and Design Collection, Art, Design & Architecture Museum
    Language of Material: English
    Physical Description: 14.0 Linear feet (2 boxes and 4 flat file drawers)
    Date (inclusive): circa 1911-circa 1955
    creator: Gill, Louis J., 1885-1969

    Access

    Partially processed collection, open for use by qualified researchers.

    Custodial History note

    Gift of Louis J. Gill, 1969. Additional materials gifted by John S. Gill, 1970 and Donald S. Gill, 2004.

    Preferred Citation note

    Louis J. Gill papers, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.

    Biographical/Historical note

    Louis J. Gill was born on May 9, 1885 in Syracuse, New York. He graduated from Syracuse University in 1911 and moved to San Diego later that year. Just out of school, Louis Gill began working at his Uncle Irving Gill’s architectural firm as a draftsman. By 1913, Louis Gill was promoted to chief draftsman and a year later formed a partnership with his uncle known as Gill and Gill, Architects. During this time, Louis Gill assisted on the designs of the La Jolla Women’s Club, the Community House for the Playground in the Scripps Group located in La Jolla, and the Ellen Scripps residence. In 1919, Gill and Gill, Architects dissolved and Louis formed his own independent firm and completed many notable projects in the San Diego region, such as, the Dr. Harry Wegeforth residence, the Sacred Heart Church in Coronado, Mission Hills Congregational Church, St. James-by-the-Sea, Rees-Stealy Clinic, John W. Mitchell Art Gallery in Coronado, residences in the San Diego area, and was hired as the architect for the San Diego Zoo. Louis J. Gill helped form the San Diego Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. In 1955, he retired after a 44 year long career in San Diego. Louis J. Gill died on August 19, 1969, at the age of 84.

    Scope and Content note

    The Louis J. Gill papers span 14 linear feet and date from circa 1911 to circa 1955. The collection contains architectural drawings and reprographic copies of primarily San Diego structures designed by Louis Gill; as well as, newspaper and magazine clippings organized by project, Gill’s professional stationary and handwritten notes regarding architectural projects, black-and-white photographs, and disbound-scrapbook pages filled with black-and-white photographs.

    Related Archival Materials note

    Irving John Gill papers, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    Gill, Louis J., 1885-1969
    Architectural drawings
    Architecture -- California -- San Diego -- 20th century
    Photographic prints
    Reprographic copies
    Scrapbooks