The collection consists of the papers of the Grenville, Temple, Nugent, and Brydges families.
The estate of Stowe in Buckinghamshire was purchased in 1590 by Peter Temple, and remained in possession of the Temple family
throughout the seventeenth century. After the death of the childless Richard Temple, Viscount Cobham, the estate was passed,
through his sister Hester Temple Grenville, to the Grenvilles who were related to the Nugent and Brydges families. Viscount
Cobham and George Grenville, 1st Marquis of Buckingham (1753-1813) replaced the original house built in 1677, by the present
magnificent edifice and developed the gardens. Following the bankruptcy of Richard Grenville, 2nd Duke of Buckingham and Chandos,
much of the lands and possessions had to be sold in 1847-1848. In 1921 the estate, house and its contents were sold in 1921
by Lady Mary Morgan Grenville, Baroness Kinloss of Stowe. In 1922 the house was acquired by governors of a new boarding school
that opened there in the following year.