This collection includes material related to the history of the Fowler Brothers bookstore in Los Angeles and the Fowler and
Lindstrom families of South Pasadena, California.
Fowler Brothers bookstore was the oldest family-owned bookstore in Los Angeles, in operation from 1888 to 1994, when it closed
due to new, large chain bookstores and subway construction that disrupted shopping downtown. It began initially as a church
and Sunday school supply house, but became a book and stationery store that survived six different downtown locations. The
store was founded by brothers J. W. Fowler and Robert A. Fowler of South Pasadena, California. When the bookstore closed,
Siegfried F. Lindstrom, grandson of J. W. Fowler, and son of Ruth Fowler Lindstrom, was running the store.
464 items in 12 boxes
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to
quote from or publish images of this material, nor does it charge fees for such
activities. The responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is
one, and obtaining permission rests with the researcher.
Collection is open to qualified researchers by prior application through the
Reader Services Department. For more information, contact Reader Services.