Decorative architectural pieces and photographs from the Jackling house designed by George Washington Smith span 16 linear
feet and date from circa 1925. The collection is composed of: one star shoulder wooden door frame from the organ room, one
copper light fixture from the library, one iron wall sconce with shade, one thermostat, and decorative tiles from the organ
room as well as the elevation opposite the arcade. The collection also includes two binders which contain photographs that
document the house.
During 1925 to 1926 architect George Washington Smith designed a house in Woodside, California for Daniel Cowan Jackling,
a wealthy man involved in the copper mining business. The house, which was 17,000 square feet, had a large courtyard, landscaped
gardens, open-air balconies, and a built-in pipe organ. The house was demolished in 2011, after a drawn out legal battle between
the current owner and the city of Woodside. Before the house was demolished it was documented through photography and decorative
architectural pieces were taken out of house and given to the Architecture and Design Collection.