This collection contains minutes, membership lists, and other records of the Agnew Hospital Nurses Alumnae Association, an
association for graduates of the Nurses Training School at Agnew Hospital which met from the mid-1910s to 1960s.
The wooden frame building for the Agnew Hospital and Nurses Training School was built in 1899-1900 at 5th and Beech (1501
5th Avenue) in San Diego. The hospital was named after David Hayes Agnew (1818-1892). Agnew graduated from the University
of Pennsylvania in 1838 and went on to practice surgery and teach anatomy at the University of Philadelphia. He gained a reputation
for his skill and judgment as a surgeon. The original building became known as the Annex when a new brick building, named
the Agnew Hospital and Training School for Nurses, was built in 1906. It was large enough for one hundred beds and became
the main hospital and school building. The Annex was sold in 1920 to become apartments. There is no official date for the
close of the main hospital and school. The building became the El Rey Hotel, and in the 1960s it was a residence for senior
0.75 Linear feet
The San Diego History Center (SDHC) holds the copyright to any unpublished materials. SDHC Library regulations do apply.
This collection is open for research.