Reginald D. Johnson (1882-1952) was an architect who worked primarily on residential and commercial projects in Southern California
from about 1910 through the 1940s.
Johnson was best known for the English and Mediterranean style mansions he built for wealthy clients in Pasadena and Santa
Barbara in the 1920s. He later embraced more progressive
and inclusive ideas about housing which included planned communities such as Baldwin Hills Village.
The collection spans the years 1906 to 1947 and consists primarily of plans, photographs and drawings of Johnson's architectural
projects in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, California.
Reginald Davis Johnson was born July 19, 1882, in Westchester, New York. In 1895, his father, the Right Reverend Joseph Horsfall
Johnson, was appointed the first bishop of the Protestant
Episcopal Southern California Diocese. Johnson's first years in California were spent in a mansion on Grand Avenue in Pasadena,
California, before attending Morristown School in Morristown, New Jersey. During his childhood,
the family made trips to Europe, and he later claimed to have studied architecture in Paris (though it is unclear where).
He completed his education first at Williams College and then at the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, graduating from there in 1910. Johnson returned to Pasadena shortly thereafter to
embark on his own architecture practice in 1912.
3 flat boxes, 1 tube box, 2 oversize folders
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce or quote from materials in the collection should be discussed with the Curator.
Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Huntington as the owner of the
physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained. Researchers
may contact the appropriate curator for further information.
The collection is open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services Department. For more information,
please visit the Huntington's website: www.huntington.org.