This collection consists of photographs and organizational subject files of the Catholic Labor Institute that document the
organization's early history in Los Angeles from the late 1940s through the early 1950s, and then the final years of its existence,
the late 1980s to circa 1991.
Reverend Thomas F. Coogan founded the
Catholic Labor Institute (CLI) on 13 February 1947;
Reverend Joseph V. Kearney was it spiritual director. Membership was for "practical Catholics" and for members of labor unions, per the CLI's constitution.
That Los Angeles Archbishop
John Cantwell blessed the organization spoke to its roots in the Roman Catholic Church. The purpose of the CLI was to support workers
and labor unions in Southern California through such means as newsletters, programs and classes, discussion groups, counseling,
and a speakers bureau.
4 linear feet(1 archival document box, 2 oversize boxes)
Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise,
Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. The user or publisher
must secure permission to publish from the copyright owner. Loyola Marymount University does not assume any responsibility
for infringement of copyright or of publication rights held by the original author or artists or his/her heirs, assigns, or