Records of Charles E. Hoadley, Chairman of the Order of Railway Conductors and Brakemen, Division No. 597, Mount Diablo Lodge.
The Order of Railway Conductors and Brakemen was founded by T.J. "Tommie" Wright in 1868 in Amboy, Illinois as the Conductors
Union. The name was changed to Order of Railway Conductors of America in 1878. In 1942, the Order of Sleeping Car Conductors
merged with the Order of Railway Conductors. The union's name was changed effective August 3, 1954 to the Order of Railway
Conductors and Brakemen and in 1969 it merged with the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen, Brotherhood of Railroad
Trainmen, and Switchmen's Union of North America to form the United Transportation Union.
The Order of Railway Conductors and Brakemen International Headquarters, Grand Division, was located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
with subordinate lodges in the United States, Canada, and the Panama Canal Zone grouped together by the various railroad carriers.
The principal officers included the president, senior vice-president, general secretary-treasurer, executive vice-president,
vice-president/Washington legislative representative, vice-president/National Railroad Adjustment Board, four regional vice-presidents,
Board of Trustees (3 members), and the Board of Directors (comprised of the above 13 officers.).
There were at least twenty-three lodges representing Southern Pacific conductors (and after 1954, brakemen), including eleven
in California. The Local Division No. 597, Mount Diablo Lodge, Southern Pacific Lines (Order of Railway Conductors / Order
of Railway Conductors and Brakemen Division No. 597), was headquartered in Tracy, California. The principal officers included
the Local Chairman, and Secretary / Treasurer. The local chairmen of Order of Railway Conductors Division No. 597 included:
H.M. Philbrick (1911-1913), S.J. Frerichs (1913-1918), F.H. Nemitz (1918), Joseph William Patten (1918-1928), Harry F. Sipe
(1929-1932), J.W. Patten (1933-1935), Harry F. Sipe (1936-1938), J.W. Patten (1939-1941), and G.D. Nicholson (1942-1955).
In 1955, after Order of Railway Conductors Division No. 597 became Order of Railway Conductors & Brakemen Division No. 597,
local chairmen were: G.D. Nicholson (1955), W.F. Carter (1956-1963), and Charles E. Hoadley (1965-1969).
Order of Railway Conductors & Brakemen Division No. 597 ceased to exist in 1969 when it merged with the Brotherhood of Locomotive
Firemen and Enginemen, the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, and Switchmen's Union of North American to form the United Transportation
Charles E. Hoadley (1917-1985) worked for the Southern Pacific Railroad as a conductor and brakeman in Modesto, Tracy and
Roseville, circa 1951-1981. He was the Local Chairman of Order of Railway Conductors and Brakemen Division No. 597 from 1965
until 1969, when the Division was dissolved, which is where he obtained the papers in this collection. Mrs. Hoadley (Constance
Z.) was active in Southern Pacific's ladies auxiliary.
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from
manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of
the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which
must also be obtained by the reader.