Guide to the Canoga Park High School Collection, 1914-1957

Special Collections & Archives

Oviatt Library

California State University, Northridge
18111 Nordhoff St.
Northridge, CA 91330
URL: http://library.csun.edu/SCA
Email: oviattsca@csun.edu
Phone: (818) 677-2832
Fax: (818) 677-2589
© Copyright 2014 Special Collections & Archives. All rights reserved.


Overview of the Collection

Collection Title: Canoga Park High School Collection
Dates: 1914-1957
Identification: URB/CPHS
Creator: Canoga Park High School, 1914-1957 Hicks, Ermon K.
Physical Description: 0.42 linear feet
Language of Materials: English
Repository: Urban Archives
Abstract: The Canoga Park High School Collection consists of photocopies of the student newspaper, commencement programs, playbills, football rosters and schedules, programs from installation and awards ceremonies, and high school events. The collection also contains programs for community and holiday events, a yearbook, and Ermon K. Hicks’ graduation announcement. The History of Canoga Park High School is documented by two publications, the first a narrative fragment compiled from the Canoga Park High School History Scrapbook, and the second, a collection of letters written to the school, the school principal, or members of the faculty by alumni in military service during World War II.

Biographical Information:

Canoga Park High School (CPHS) is the oldest high school in the west San Fernando Valley. It opened with 14 students and 2 teachers on October 4, 1914. CPHS was originally named Owensmouth High School. In 1914, CPHS was located on the second floor of Owensmouth Grammar School. The first graduation on the campus of Owensmouth High School occurred in June 1916. The graduating class consisted of two students, Edith Haas and Solly H. Patrick. On September 11, 1916, Owensmouth High started the school year with a new building and a new location at 6850 Topanga Canyon Blvd. in Canoga Park. Included in the new campus was an open air theater known as the Greek Theater which served as a venue for entertainment, plays and commencements.
On June 12, 1929, a fire destroyed the upper floor of the school. The left and right wings remained in use, but bungalows were required until the completion of new buildings in early 1931. In 1931, the town of Owensmouth changed its name to Canoga Park and the school was also renamed Canoga Park High School. In 1953, the Greek Theater was torn down to make room for a physical education field and in 1971 an earthquake destroyed many of its original iconic buildings. New air conditioned structures opened in 1978. The mascot for the school is a hunter and their sports teams are known as the Hunters.

Access Terms

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Genre/Form of Material:

Paper records

Geographic Name:

Canoga Park (Los Angeles, Calif.)
San Fernando Valley (Calif.)

Administrative Information

Processing Information:

Shawn Stamm, September 2010

Conditions Governing Use:

Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection has not been transferred to California State University, Northridge. Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.

Conditions Governing Access:

This collection is open for research use.

Preferred Citation:

[Identification of item], [date], Canoga Park High School Collection , Special Collections and Archives, Oviatt Library, California State University, Northridge.

Arrangement of Materials:

Series I: Ermon K. Hicks Files, 1934-1937
Series II: Historical Files, 1914-1957

Scope and Contents

The History of Canoga Park High School is documented by two publications, the first a narrative fragment compiled from the Canoga Park High School History Scrapbook, and the second, a collection of letters written to the school, the school principal, or members of the faculty by alumni in military service during World War II. The Canoga Park High School Collection is divided into two series, the Ermon K. Hicks Files (1934-1937), arranged alphabetically, and Historical Files (1914-1957), arranged chronologically.

Collection Contents

 

Series I: Ermon K. Hicks Files, 1934-1937

 

Box 1

Folder 1

Commencement Programs, 1935-1937

Folder 2

Ermon Hicks Graduation Announcement, 1937

Folder 3

Football rosters and schedules, 1934-1937

Folder 4

Holiday and community event programs, 1934-1935

Folder 5

Hunters' Call (school newspaper), Vol. VII-VIII, 1936 October 13-1937 June 24

Folder 6

Installation and Awards Ceremony programs, 1935-1936

Folder 7

Six period program, 1935

Folder 8

Theater playbills, 1935-1937

Folder 9

Yearbook, 1937

 

Series II: Historical Files, 1914-1957

 

Box 1

Folder 10

Mellie M. Calvert, "History of Canoga Park High School, 1914-1957", September 1973

Folder 11

H. O. Duke, Principal, "Letters from Alumni During World War II, Canoga Park High School", 1956

Folder 12

H. O. Duke, Principal, "Letters from Alumni During World War II, Canoga Park High School", 1956

Folder 13

H. O. Duke, Principal, "Letters from Alumni During World War II, Canoga Park High School", 1956

Folder 14

H. O. Duke, Principal, "Letters from Alumni During World War II, Canoga Park High School", 1956

Folder 15

H. O. Duke, Principal, "Letters from Alumni During World War II, Canoga Park High School", 1956

Folder 16

H. O. Duke, Principal, "Letters from Alumni During World War II, Canoga Park High School", 1956

Folder 17

H. O. Duke, Principal, "Letters from Alumni During World War II, Canoga Park High School", 1956

Folder 18

H. O. Duke, Principal, "Letters from Alumni During World War II, Canoga Park High School", 1956