The Greater Los Angeles Press Club was
formed following World War II. The Club operated a café and cocktail lounge for their
members from 1960 through the 1980s, but as interest in gathering there waned, offices
were leased instead. During the early 1970s the Press Club actively defended freedom of
the press and the rights of newsmen, protesting the arrest of journalist William Farr.
The collection consists of newsletters and administrative files generated by the Greater
Los Angeles Press Club, which document such events as the arrest of journalist William
Farr during the Charles Manson trial in the early 1970s, correspondence regarding
numerous First Amendment issues, and the club's annual Headliner Awards
Founded just after 1900, the Los Angeles Press Club was initially located at 327 South
Hill Street where it served as a gathering spot for local journalists. The club shut
down during the Great Depression, but following World War II the Greater Los Angeles
Press Club was formed: "On September 24, 1946, newsmen from the surviving four
daily newspapers founded the Greater Los Angeles Press Club. Since Los Angeles Press
Club was taken by a nightclub we became the Greater…The nightclub is no longer around
and we have reposessed [sic] our real name." The Club operated a café and cocktail
lounge for their members from 1960 through the 1980s, but as interest in gathering there
waned, offices were leased instead.
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s)
of this collection has not been transferred to California State University,
Northridge. Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or
reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of
the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
The collection is open for research use.