Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the California Institute of the Arts School of Art collection
CalArts.2012.006  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (53.22 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Biography/Administrative History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms
  • Additional collection guides

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Guide to the California Institute of the Arts School of Art collection
    Dates: 1969-1976;1984-1991
    Collection Number: CalArts.2012.006
    Creator/Collector: California Institute of the Arts California Institute of the Arts. School of Art.
    Extent: 0.5 Linear Feet
    Repository: California Institute of the Arts Institute Archive
    Valencia, California 91355
    Abstract: The California Institute of the Arts’ School of Art was established in 1970 and existed until 1976, when it merged with the California Institute of the Arts’ School of Design to become the School of Art and Design, a merger that lasted until 1984. In 1984, the School of Art and Design became the School of Art. Collection consists of administrative, curricular, exhibition and event materials, black-and-white portrait photographs, newspaper clippings, posters, and video recordings related to the School of Art.
    Language of Material: English

    Access

    Open for research. Advance notice is required for access to the collection. Please contact the institute archivist to make an appointment to view materials.

    Publication Rights

    Permission to publish, quote or reproduce must be secured from the Institute Archive and any copyright holders.

    Preferred Citation

    Guide to the California Institute of the Arts School of Art collection . California Institute of the Arts Institute Archive

    Acquisition Information

    Collected by the California Institute of the Arts as part of the California Institute of the Arts Institute Archive.

    Biography/Administrative History

    The California Institute of the Arts’ School of Art was established in 1970 and existed until 1976 when it merged with the California Institute of the Arts’ School of Design to become the School of Art and Design, a merger that lasted until 1984. In 1984, the School of Art and Design became the School of Art.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    The California Institute of the Arts School of Art Collection documents the activities, events, and academics of the School of Art and comprises administrative and curricular materials; a performance program; black-and-white photographs; handbooks; posters; a report on faculty and student professional activities; newspaper clippings pertaining to faculty and students; video recordings; the poem, "House of Dust," by artist and faculty member Alison Knowles as well as memoranda and photographs related to Knowles' helicopter poetry drop of the poem.

    Indexing Terms

    California Institute of the Arts - History - Sources
    California Institute of the Arts. School of Art - Archives.
    Education - Curricula
    Handbooks, manuals, etc.
    Kaprow, Allan, 1927-2006
    Brach, Paul Henry, 1924-2007
    Knowles, Allison, 1933
    Black-and-white photographs
    Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
    Correspondence
    Memoranda
    Poetry
    Posters
    Video recordings

    Additional collection guides