Record Series 316 contains Clarence Sawhill's correspondence from 1962-1973 relating to the UCLA Music Department, UCLA Bands,
and his involvement in professional organizations.
The Music Department at UCLA was founded as part of the College of Fine Arts in 1919 with the establishment of the Southern
Branch of the University of California. Clarence Sawhill was a member of the Music Department and Director of Bands from 1952-1972.
During his tenure, the Department had a staff of approximately 52, of whom 23 were professors. It listed approximately 500
undergraduate majors and 100 graduate students in degree programs, including the BA, MA, and PhD, as well as elementary and
secondary school teaching credential programs. The Department regularly offered orchestral, operatic, band, choral, and chamber
concerts to the University community.
Copyright of portions of this collection is held by The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University Archives
can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish or quote
must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.