Diary of Hiram Flagg's voyage on the bark "Edward Everett" from Boston to San Francisco, beginning on January 11, 1849 and
ending on July 6, 1849. Contains a record of the names, occupations, residence, and age of the ships 150 passengers. Entries
are brief noting location (Lat/Long), sailing conditions and personal observations. Contains description of Valparaíso where
they docked for 5 days.
Mr. Flagg was born in Danvers, Mass. (March 14, 1818), where he spent his boyhood, afterwards removing to Mason, N.H. His
parents were Ephraim and Betsy (Stevens) Flagg. As a young man he worked in the mills of Lawrence and Lowell and afterwards
learned the iron founder's trade, working in Hingham and East Boston. In 1849, he went to California, sailing from Boston
January 11, arriving at San Francisco July 6, and passing through many thrilling experiences in the gold mines. Mr. Flagg
returned to Boston, via Isthmus of Panama and New York. He married Laura Peabody in Lowell, August 31, 1852, and they lived
in Somerville and Charlestown about six years in each place. In 1868, Mr. Flagg retired from business, coming to Wakefield,
where he purchased a farm at the head of Lake Quannapowitt, after which he attended to his personal affairs, going to Boston
regularly and looking after his real estate interests. Mrs. Flagg died August 1, 1887. Mr. Flagg died ten yearslater, August
23, 1897, aged 79 years, 5 months and 9 days. Mr. Flagg left a daughter, Mrs. Laura E. Gowing of Wakefield, and 3 sons, Hiram
Peabody Flagg, the artist, Charles S. Flagg and George Arthur Flagg. Mr. Flagg was a Mason and an Odd Fellow, although not
connected with any lodge of either organization at the time of his death. - From a typed biography by a former librarian of
the Society of California Pioneers, n.d.