Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Carson and Colorado Railroad Company Records
BANC MSS P-G 232  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (62.53 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Access
  • Brief Company History
  • Scope and Content
  • Preferred Citation
  • Publication Rights

  • Contributing Institution: The Bancroft Library
    Title: Carson Colorado Railroad Company Records
    Identifier/Call Number: BANC MSS P-G 232
    Physical Description: 1.75 linear feet (1 carton and 3 packages)
    Date (inclusive): 1881-1901
    Abstract: This fragmentary collection consists of correspondence, 1884-1901; station ledgers and accounts, 1886-1895; miscellaneous financial records, 1881-1896; register of waybills, 1896-1900; rate books, 1883-1884, 1892-1897; passenger statistics book, 1881-1884; and related materials.
    Physical Location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
    Language of Material: English .

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Brief Company History

    The Carson & Colorado Railroad Company was incorporated in Nevada on May 10, 1880 as a narrow gauge extension of the parent Virginia & Truckee Railroad. Rails were laid south from Mound House, Nevada on the Virginia & Truckee during 1880-1883 through the communities of Wabuska, Hawthorne, Belleville, Candelaria, Laws, and Owenyo to Hawley, later renamed Keeler, California--some 300 miles south of Mound House. Consolidation of three separate operating divisions and reorganization as the Carson & Colorado Railway Company occurred on February 27, 1892. With general offices and shops at Carson City, Nevada, the Carson & Colorado was operated by joint V. & T. and C. & C. officers as a feeder or branch of the V. & T.; its sole President and General Superintendent was Henry Marvin Yerington. Control of the C. & C. was negotiated by major stockholder Darius Ogden Mills with sale on March 1, 1900 to the Southern Pacific Railroad which subsequently operated the line under the name of the Nevada & California Railway Company beginning in May 1905. In February of 1912 the Nevada & California was absorbed into the Southern Pacific System and portions of the original 1880 right-of-way continue in present operation.

    Scope and Content

    This fragmentary collection of Carson & Colorado Railroad records comprises 1 box, 1 carton, and 3 packages and covers the period 1880-1901 when the railroad was primarily under the operation and control of the Virginia & Truckee. The collection was acquired by purchase from Grahame H. Hardy in 1948, 1952, 1953, and 1957; by gift of Louis B. Siegriest in 1954; and by a gift of Stephen E. Drew in 1972.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Carson & Colorado Railroad Company records, BANC MSS P-G 232, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.

    Publication Rights

    Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of University of California gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user. For additional information about the University of California, Berkeley Library's permissions policy please see: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/about/permissions-policies