Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Register of the Wolters (Henry) & Son (Stockton, Calif.) Collection, 1948-1978
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (60.70 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
The Wolters Collection consists of Painters' Agreement Books for most of Northern California and Nevada (1951-1977); Painters' Union By-Laws (1952-1969); Hospital & Medical Insurance Benefits for Bay Area Painters & Decorators Agreement (1950); Cement Masons Master Agreement (1971); Painters & Decorators Union Dues Books (1938-1945); Henry Wolters & Son information brochures (1961-1978); job cards (c1950-1955); miscellaneous receipts and business correspondence; and, grade books from vocational high school courses taught by Henry Wolters Jr. at Stockton High School (1948).
Henry W. Wolters came to the United States from Hamburg, Germany (1910), working first in a paint factory, then as a painter. After serving in the U.S. Army during World War I, Wolters settled in Stockton (Calif.) where he persued the trade of house painter for eight years until he had accumulated sufficient capital to launch his own painting and decorating business (1927). Henry Wolters Jr. apprenticed as an interior decorator under Constantino Faggioni, then worked at this trade in various cities of California before becoming first a foreman (1943) and then a partner (1948) in his father's Stockton business. In 1955 Henry Wolters Jr. became sole owner of the firm. His son, John C. Wolters, became Vice President of Henry Wolters & Son following an extended apprenticeship in 1977. In addition to work on the San Joaquin County Courts Building, the Sacramento County Courthouse, the Shell Chemical Plant (St. Helens, Ore.), the Hershey Chocolate Corp. Plant (Oakdale, Calif.), St. Joseph's Hospital (Stockton, Calif.) and various 19th century commercial buildings in Stockton, Henry Wolters & Son completed a variety of highly specialized industrial contracts, including work for the Atomic Energy Commission. The company ceased business operations in 1990.
The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary property.
Collection is open for research by appointment only.