This collection consists primarily of correspondence, as well as
maps, news clippings, photographs, and blueprints, of the Southern Pacific of Mexico
railroad line (SP de México), dating from 1885 to 1954.
The Ferrocarril Sud Pacífico de México (SP de México) line began as the Sonora Railway in
1882, first owned and operated by the Atcheson, Topeka & Santa Fe. It ran from Nogales,
Arizona down to the port of Guaymas, 423 kilometers southeast of Nogales. The Southern
Pacific acquired the line through a reciprocal trade with the AT&SF in 1898, and
incorporated the line as a separate corporate entity, the SP de México, in June 1909. The
line was gradually extended south from Nogales and north from Guadalajara. When the Mexican
Revolution erupted late in 1910, construction of the line was essentially halted until 1923.
In 1927 the line was finally connected from Guadalajara to the U.S./Mexican border. It
operated in Mexico until 1951, when the Mexican government purchased the line from the
160 bound items in 23 boxes, and one large bound minute book.
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to quote from
or publish images of this material, nor does it charge fees for such activities. The
responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is one, and obtaining
necessary permissions rests with the researcher.
Open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services Department.
For more information, contact Reader Services.