From 1899 a small medical library existed to serve
the College of Medicine of the University of Southern California (USC) and the
physicians of the city. In 1906 Dr. Walter Jarvis Barlow, a faculty member of
the College of Medicine, deeded to the Los Angeles College Clinical Association
(a non-profit holding corporation of the College of Medicine, USC) a new
building erected to house the growing collection. The Library was named in his
honor, and its governance was entrusted to the Board of Trustees of the Barlow
Medical Library Association. In 1932 the collections of the Barlow Medical
Library were transferred to the Los Angeles County Medical Association, and in
1992 they came to the University of California, Los Angeles. The collection
consists of financial records, correspondence and other documents concerned with
the Library's operations, various printed materials, and photographs, all
concentrating on the period of 1907-1934.
The collection is open for research. Contact the History and Special
Collections Division, Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library, University of
California, Los Angeles, for information.