The California Energy Commission was created in 1974 pursuant to the Warren-Alquist State Energy Resources Conservation and
Development Act (Stats. 1974, ch. 276). Prior to the development of the Commission, utilities wanting to construct an energy
facility faced a fragmented and lengthy siting process that necessitated authorization of local, state, and federal agencies.
Beginning in the mid 1960s the Resources Agency assumed the duties of determining acceptability of proposed sites and coordinating
the activities of state agencies connected to the siting process. The changing environmental laws at the state and federal
levels and the need for a formalized siting process prompted the Legislature to introduce several siting bills beginning in
the 1970 session. In response to the oil shortage of 1973, the Governor signed A.B. 1575 (1974) into law, which consolidated
the operations of energy forecasting, conservation, development, and siting within a single agency.
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives