Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Hubbard (Bernard R., S.J.) Papers
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (111.18 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
The Bernard R. Hubbard, S.J. Papers, 1852-2001 (1921-1958), documents the life of priest, explorer, and lecturer Father Bernard Rosencrans Hubbard, also known as the Glacier Priest. The bulk of the collection consists of photographs and films taken by Father Hubbard during his travels and artifacts both owned and collected by him. The records consist of correspondence between Hubbard and friends, coworkers, fellow members of the priesthood, and a variety of other people, including fans to President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The collection also contains a multitude of other paper formats, such as newspaper clippings, articles, research notes, and other miscellaneous documents. This collection is arranged into eight series: Series I. Correspondence, 1852-1962 (1924-1953); Series II. Miscellaneous Documents, 1900-2001 (1932-1954); Series III. Related Persons Materials, 1928-1996 (1934-1996); Series IV. Artifacts, 1938, undated; Series V. Alaska Photographs, 1923-1960 (1927-1958); Series VI. Personal and World Photographs, 1921-1956 (1922-1946); Series VII. Films, 1914-1996 (1949-1962); and Series VIII. Oversize Materials, 1917-1959 (1926-1954).
Santa Clara University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus as Santa Clara College and is California’s oldest operating institution of higher learning. It was established on the grounds of Mission Santa Clara de Asìs, the eighth of the original 21 California missions. The college originally operated as a preparatory school and did not offer courses of collegiate rank until 1853. The institution became known as the University of Santa Clara in 1912, when the schools of engineering and law were added. For 110 years, Santa Clara University was an all-male school. In 1961, women were accepted as undergraduates and Santa Clara University became the first coeducational Catholic university in California. The number of students and faculty tripled over the next decade and the university began the largest building program in school history with eight residence halls, a student union, and an athletic stadium. In the early 1970s, the Board of Trustees voted to limit the size of the undergraduate population, an action that was intended to preserve the character and ensure the quality of the university for generations to come. In 1985, the university adopted Santa Clara University as its official name.
144.31 linear feet , 202 boxes.
Materials in Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. All requests for permission to publish from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Archives and Special Collections as the owner of the physical materials, and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials.
This collection is open for research.