Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Register of the Mountain View House (Peregoy Meadows, Calif.) Hotel Register, 1869-1878
View entire collection guide What's This?
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
Photocopy of original hotel register, unpaginated, bound volume of approximately 207 pages with preface and copies of two photographs. The register has also been microfilmed and is held by the University of the Pacific and the University of California. The Hotel Register is first addressed "To Chas. E. Peregoy, from his friends Geo B. Bayley & Clinton Day. June, 1870. First entries are signed by them on June 11, 1870. However the second page lists entries for September 10, 1869 and June 3, 1870. An estimated 5,000 guests enjoyed Peregoy's hospitality. Inn visitors came from throughout the United States and twenty-two foreign countries. Famous guests included Mark Hopkins, De Witt Talmage, Joaquin Miller, Asa Gray, Horace Greeley, and John Muir. Many guests made comments about their sightseeing and the views, expressed appreciation of the guides, wrote poems about the hotel, or disparaging remarks about hotels in the valley. The last guests
Born in Baltimore (1826) Charles Peregoy came to California in search of gold (1849). He engaged in mining in Calaveras and Mariposa counties. Sometime in the 1850's Peregoy bought a ranch at Mormon Bar about two miles from the town of Mariposa. Shortly after Charles Peregoy made the final payment on the Mormon Bar ranch, John C. Fremont claimed the land as part of his Mexican land grant and demanded that Peregoy pay him rent on his property. The latter refused and took the case to court where it was litigated for seventeen years before finally being settled in Peregoy's favor. Faced with the possibly of losing his property, he decided to concentrate on stock raising rather than making costly improvements on the land. During the summer months Peregoy drove his cattle through Mormon Bar, past Clark's Station (Wawona) and up toward Glacier Point to the spot later known as Peregoy Meadows. Here he established a cattle camp and lived with his wife and five children during the summer.
Collection is open for research.