List of Correspondents
Title: Sydney W. Bone Collection,
Date (inclusive): 1936-1977
Collection number: MS 44
Bone, Sydney W.
Extent: 2 document boxes
California State Railroad Museum Library
Sacramento, California 95814
Shelf location: Big Four Building or off-site storage. Please contact
the Library in advance of your visit.
Gift of Brad Lomazzi, 1997
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for
permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Senior
Curator. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the
physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder,
which must also be obtained by the reader.
[Identification of item], Sydney W. Bone Collection, MS 44, California State Railroad Museum Library, Sacramento, California.
The collection includes correspondence with many members of the retail and railroad industries, including John Barrigar, president
of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad, and James Farley, Chairman of Coca-Cola. The correspondence is primarily incoming and
relates largely to Mr. Bone's retirement. Items relating to Mr. Bone's professional activities include memos, letterhead,
telephone directories, and press releases from New York Central Railroad, business cards, notebooks, photographs, and materials
from meetings, such as name tags, presentations, and handwritten notes. Personal items in the collection include letterhead,
and biographical information. Financial information includes materials relating to retirement, estate planning, Social Security,
and state taxes. Also included are clippings and periodicals.
The collection is arranged into five series: Correspondence, Corporate Materials, Photographs, Clippings, and Miscellany.
A complete listing of correspondents is included at the end of the inventory. The Correspondence, Corporate Materials and
Miscellany series are organized alphabetically by name and subject. The Photographs, Clippings series are organized chronologically.
Sidney Bone (born Aug. 27, 1901 - ) became involved in the railroad industry in 1917 as a telegrapher for the Atchison, Topeka
& Santa Fe Railway, moving to the New York Central in 1929. As the Passenger Sales Manager of the New York Central Railroad
for 25 years, he invented the family fare plan and several other railroad passenger travel innovations. He served as president
of the American Association of Passenger Traffic Officers, and was a member of the Chicago Traffic Club, the Chicago Chapter
of SKAL Clubs of North America, and the Chicago Passenger Club. Mr. Bone retired in 1966.
List of Correspondents
- Armstrong, Walter (American National Bank and Trust Company of Chicago)
- Barrett, John A. (Vice President, Norfolk and Western Railway Co.)
- Barrigar, John W. (President, Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad Co.)
- Bickley, John L. (Passenger Traffic Manager, Grand Trunk Western Railroad)
Brown, Harry A. B.
- Buckingham, Ralph C. (Secretary-Treasurer, AAPTO)
- Carroll, Robert W. (Secretary, New York Central)
- Chess, T. Louis (Chairman, San Mateo County Board of Supervisors)
- Clark, William (Financial Editor, Chicago Tribune)
Collins, Mac G.
Cone, Fairfax M.
- Cramer, Ralph N. (Assistant Vice President, Freight Sales & Service, New York Central)
Crapser, Merlin T.
- Del Valle, U. F. "Frank" (Division Passenger Agent, AT&SF)
DiCarlo, Joseph B.
- Divney, J.J. (New York Central)
Dixon, Harvey E.
Eno, Harold F.
- Erwin, Harold J. (Research Analyst, New York Central)
- Farley, James A. (Postmaster-General; Chairman, Coca-Cola)
- Feeley, William P. (Chairman, Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Co.)
Finn, Joseph John
- Flint, Sam H. (Vice President, Quaker Oats Co.)
Florance, John D.
- Fox, Bonham (Area Vice President, Sales, Trans World Airlines)
- Ganzert, Phil (New York Central)
- Gardner, C. Gil (American President Lines)
- [Gonsalves, Robert E.] (Passenger Sales Manager, Western Pacific)
- Greco, Alfred (Public Relations, Association of Western Railways)
- Hahn, Max W. (Assistant Vice President, Advertising & Sales, Avis)
Hanson, Harold F.
Hardin, Paul R.
- Haverkemp, Wilbur S. (Coal Sales Manager, Coal & Ore Dept, New York Central)
- Heissenbuttel, E.V. (Chairman, Docket Committee, AAPTO; Passenger Sales Manager, Long Island Railroad)
- Hillman, W.A. (District Freight Sales Manager, New York Central)
Hoffman, Wayne M.
Justus, Robert R.
- Keeshin, Jack L. (President, Railroad Transfer Service)
- Kent, Harold W. (President Emeritus, The Kamehameha Schools)
Kropp, Jeannette and Art
- Laskoske, A.W. (Vice President, Operation, New York Central)
- Lewis, Robert G. (Publisher, Railway Age Weekly)
- Loeber, Charles (Executive Assistant, New York Central)
Main, William R.
- Malone, Frank (New York Central)
- McNally, Andrew III (President, Rand McNally & Co.)
- Mitts, Neil A. (General Passenger Agent, Erie Lackawanna Railroad)
- Nordgren, Paul E. (Chicago, North Shore & Milwaukee)
- Norwood, Jack E. (Assistant Vice President, Freight Sales Dept, New York Central)
Ogier, Felix L.
- Ogilvie, William E. (Secretary-General Manager, International Live Stock Exposition)
- Oldenquist, A.G. (General Passenger Traffic Manager, Erie Lackawanna)
- Pappione, Val (New York Central)
- Rodger, John H. (Union Carbide Corp.)
- Rudolph, Martin A. (Assistant Vice President, Harris Trust & Savings Bank)
Schmick, Franklin Bush
Shantz, M. Irene
- Soen, Frank P. (President, Bulk Transfer Utilization, Inc.)
- Spurrier, Harry B. (District Director of Public Relations, New York Central)
- Steinhardt, O.J. (Assistant Passenger Sales Manager, New York Central)
Tallo, Paul Jr.
Thornton, William L.
Van Auken, Paul S.
- Van Wyck, K.C. / Scott, F.G. (Passenger Traffic Managers, Great Northern and Northern Pacific Railroads)
- Werner, Gerald J. (Director of Traffic & Transportation, Motorola)
- White, W.H. (New England, Freight Sales Manager, New York Central)
- staff (various full names)
Betty & Ray
- Frank (Penn Central)
- Mike (New York Central)