Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Bully Hill Mine Photographs Relating to the Lawrence May Family, ca. 1870-1919
BANC PIC 1982.063 -- PIC  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (176.00 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
Table of contents What's This?
  • Collection Summary
  • Information for Researchers
  • Administrative Information
  • Scope and Content

  • Collection Summary

    Collection Title: Bully Hill Mine Photographs Relating to the Lawrence May Family,
    Date: ca. 1870-1919
    Collection Number: BANC PIC 1982.063 -- PIC
    Creator: May family
    Extent: 77 loose photographs, various sizes; 20 photographs compiled in album, 19 x 26 cm.; various ephemera. 81 digital objects
    Repository: The Bancroft Library. University of California, Berkeley.
    Berkeley, California 94720-6000
    Languages Represented: English

    Information for Researchers


    Collection is available for use.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish photographs must be submitted in writing to the Curator of Pictorial Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
    Copyright restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item] Bully Hill Mine photographs relating to the Lawrence May family, BANC PIC 1982.063 --PIC, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.

    Digital Representations Available

    Digital representations of selected original pictorial materials are available in the list of materials below. Digital image files were prepared from selected Library originals by the Library Photographic Service. Library originals were copied onto 35mm color transparency film; the film was scanned and transferred to Kodak Photo CD (by Custom Process); and the Photo CD files were color-corrected and saved in JFIF (JPEG) format for use as viewing files.

    Administrative Information

    Acquisition Information

    The Bully Hill Mine Photographs Relating to the Lawrence May Family collection was received as a gift from Marjorie May, via her brother Henry May (both children of Lawrence May), in 1982.

    Scope and Content

    The Bully Hill Mine Photographs collection--consisting of 77 loose prints, 1 album and various ephemera spanning circa 1870 to circa 1919--documents the Bully Hill Mine and Delamar community of Shasta County, California. In addition to photographs of the smelter facilities and other buildings and yards related to the operations of the Bully Hill Mine--primarily a copper mine--the collection includes photographs of the town of Delamar and surrounding lands, local railways, other mining facilities, the Pit River area and many unidentified waterways, the town of Shasta Soda Springs, and Yosemite Valley. A large portion of the collection features members of the May family and other Delamar inhabitants and Bully Hill Mine workers. Especially prominent in the photographs are Lawrence May, a Bully Hill Mine engineer, and his wife Florence Mesing May. Scenes of Picnics, swimming outings, horseback riding, and other leisure events and social gatherings, as well as several group portraits of community members, are also included.
    The collection also contains a small untitled album of 20 photographs of the Bully Hill and Rising Star Mine areas and the community of Delamar, as well as a ribbon-bound booklet, Bully Hill, which includes the text of a poem, "Thanksgiving Nineteen Hundred and Nine," by the "Poet Lariat," and several photographic illustrations of the people and dwellings of the Bully Hill community.
    A photograph of geologist Andrew C. Lawson is also included (no. 66).
    Other miscellaneous material includes a description of the Bully Hill Mine photocopied from Lewis E. Aubury's 1908 The Copper Resources of California, a photocopied portion of a 1939 map of Shasta County mineral deposits, and a note compiled from several sources on the history of the Bully Hill Mine.