In 1936, U.C. President Robert Sproul appointed the Committee on Drama, Lectures, and Music (later known as the Committee
on Fine Arts Production and currently known as the Center for Performing Arts) to present on-campus one musical even each
year. The first event sponsored by the Committee occurred on February 4, 1937 when the Vienna Choir Boys performed on the
UCLA campus. During the 1960s, under the leadership of Frances Inglis, the Center built a national and international reputation
for the size and sophistication of its programs. In 1973, Inglis was succeeded by Edmond Harris, who increased the number
of programs and encouraged works by new and avant-garde artists. In 1979, Harris was succeeded as director by Pebbles Wadsworth.
Copyright of portions of this collection is held by The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University Archives
can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish or quote
must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.