Additional papers were received in 1986 and 1990; they have been added to the collection as two addenda rather than interfiled
with the previously processed papers. Each addition has been identified by its accession number (86-179 and 90-188) and is
listed separately. When requesting materials from these additions, please indicate the accession number on the paging slip.
Guido H. Marx was born in Toledo, Ohio, in 1871. He attended Cornell University, earning the degree of mechanical engineer
in 1893. He worked in industry for two years before joining the Stanford faculty in 1895, at the instigation of Albert W.
Smith, his former professor at Cornell who, in collaboration with Guido's brother Charles D. Marx, was developing Stanford's
new School of Engineering. He became professor of machine design in 1908; he retired in 1936 with the rank of Professor Emeritus.
Property rights reside with the repository. Literary rights reside with the creators of the documents or their heirs. To obtain
permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Public Services Librarian of the Dept. of Special Collections and University