This collection consists of letters and
documents related to the government of the municipality of Monterey, California, primarily
during the period 1828-1854.
The town of Monterey, California, founded by the Spanish as a presidio in 1770, remained
under the rule of New Spain until the Mexican government took control in 1822. During the
Mexican period, the city was governed by an Ayuntamiento and an alcalde. Walter Colton
became the first American alcalde of Monterey on July 28, 1846, serving during this
formative period when the territory was under the rule of United Staets military governors.
California officially became a U.S. possession in 1848, and after obtaining statehood in
1850 the Ayuntamiento became the Common Council, and a mayor was elected in place of the
10 Linear Feet
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to quote from
or publish images of this material, nor does it charge fees for such activities. The
responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is one, and obtaining
necessary permissions rests with the researcher.
Open for use by qualified researchers and by appointment. Please contact Reader Services at
the Huntington Library for more information.