Title: Boca and Loyalton Railroad Collection,
Date (inclusive): 1907-1915
Collection number: MS 12
Boca and Loyalton Railroad
Extent: 1 volume
California State Railroad Museum Library
Sacramento, California 95814
Shelf location: Big Four Building or off-site storage. Please contact
the Library in advance of your visit.
Gift of Stephen E. Drew, 1986
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for
permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Senior
Curator. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the
physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder,
which must also be obtained by the reader.
[Identification of item], Boca and Loyalton Railroad Collection, MS 12, California State Railroad Museum Library, Sacramento,
One volume listing voucher numbers, payees, dates, amounts and purpose of expenditures on northeastern California's Boca and
The Boca & Loyalton was incorporated September 25, 1900. The B&L operated from Portola, California, eastward 5.7 miles to
Beckwith, then south 40 miles to Boca on the Southern Pacific. A 1.6 mile branch known as the Grizzly Creek Spur extended
north from the main line at a point 3.3 miles east of Portola. Another branch just east of Beckwith at Horton Junction went
north to provide a connection with the Clover Valley Lumber Company. The B&L engine house and shops were at Loyalton. There
was another engine house at Boca.
The Western Pacific Railroad purchased the B&L in 1916 (title transferred December 1, 1916). Only portions of the line remained
in use: 11.86 miles from Loyalton north to Hawley; service discontinued 1957) and the Grizzly Creek line which became part
of WP's Gulling Branch (abandoned 1940).
For additional information, see David F. Myrick
Railroads of Nevada and Eastern California. Volume 1: The Northern Roads (1990).